Monday, January 10, 2011

Back to School

Today officially ended our Christmas break.  I know your thinking we are behind.  But not really.  We are right on track as far as I am concerned.  I used to be worried about deadlines and the amount that we were getting done until I realized that I pulled Jackson out because of deadlines and stress.  I wanted him to have time to learn.  Here at The Brown Academy we have nothing but time.  Everyday I have an idea of what I want to get done and 9 times out of 10 we do.  I say that is pretty good. 

So today we did a little math, reading, and handwriting.  That was Jackson's part.  Ellie worked on the numbers 2 and 3 and the letter G.  She has great letter and number recognition but her fine motor skills, although very good, are not there yet as far as writing them.  Guess what?  I am not worried! I let her practice for a little while and then we went to something else.  Oh and she did have some reading.  She "reads" to me everyday.  Really she is looking at the pictures of the books and telling me the story based on them.  She hates for me to help her.  Many times the story she tells is nothing close to the real one, but she is using her imagination and as far as I am concerned this is the first step to reading.

So any other homeschool mom's that read this blog agree?  Disagree?  Think I am crazy?  I actually feel like I finally got it!  There is no reason to be stressed.  When I am not stressed my kids are not stressed.  We were done with school today by 1030 and we started at 9.  I would say that was a GREAT school day!

No comments: