Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Today I sent the kids to their rooms to clean. They are at the age where they know what needs to be done and I know that for the most part I can trust them to do a good job.  This past summer we pulled out the carpet in their rooms.  (Troy's job situation has kept us from replacing them.) They now have concrete floors.  So it is easier for me to sweep up the trash on the floors and to really get all of the stuff out from under their beds. 

So today after the first 10 minutes I went in to their rooms and with the broom swept the remnants into a pile in the middle of the floor.  This gives them an idea of what they have missed and what will potentially end up in the garbage. 

The rule at our house is whatever makes it into the trash pile when I sweep goes into the trash.  They are like little scavengers when I sweep!  They run to the pile and get out their most prized possessions.  Some may call this harsh but honestly in the United States our kids have too much.  I know that there are tons of kids that would love to have a 1/4 of the stuff mine do. 

I watched a TV episode the other day where a woman lived in 125 sq feet!  No that is not a typo.  That is what she lived in.  The host of the show praised her on her lack of stuff.  She got it.  She didn't need all of the stuff we have as Americans.  It got me thinking about all of our stuff!  I organized the school room yesterday and although I did purge some, I found myself holding on to a lot more.  I need to let it go.  How many books can one kid read?  But how do we change our thinking?  I am unsure but this is what I have been thinking. 

I think that we need to turn our thoughts towards the Lord for one.  He does not condemn those that have things, this I know.  But I don't think He wants us to hold on to things with all of our might either.  I think that He wants us to be thankful for what He has given us and be willing and able to give it all back to Him.  If that means selling it all and giving the money to your church or just plain giving your belongings to another person in need; I think that He wants us to keep an open heart and mind. 

At this stage in my life I am surrounded by others that give unselfishly, it is amazing to say the least.  I am continually blown away by the generosity and kindness of my friends and family.  And then I realize that God has put each one of them in my life.  They are all followers of Christ.  They are like-minded in that they only want to do what is pleasing in the eyes of their God.  How cool is that? 

As I started this post I was going to tell you a funny story about the kids and cleaning up.  But as you can see I have gone off on a different tangent.  Didn't mean to but I think it is good.  As I have been journaling I have found that sometimes the Holy Spirit leads my thoughts and these things just come out.  :)  I am grateful for that because I know that He is speaking to me and that is so comforting!

No comments: