Thursday, April 7, 2011

Sun Stand Still (Part 1)-Audacious Faith

I am reading a new book, Sun Stand Still by Steven Furtick.  I wanted to write about it because I have not been able to put it down.  It is such an awesome book and I think it will be an awesome movement if followers of Christ step up and believe in the power of Jesus Christ. 

I labeled this post "Part 1" because I am only on chapter 6.  I can't begin to tell you about the whole book or all the concepts in it, yet!

So the first thing I want to tell you about is the title of the book, Sun Stand Still. It is in reference to the prayer of Joshua when he was fighting the Ammorites. Joshua prayed and asked God to make the sun stand still (Joshua 10:12) so that he could defeat them all!  God heard his prayer and he did just that.  He stopped the sun.  He suspended time.  One thing I like about Furtick is that he believes that Word of God is just that, the Word of God.  He takes everything that is said in between the cover of it as face value, 100% true, no if's and's or but's!  I have been and still am the same way.  So this miracle that God performed for Joshua was just that a miraculous thing.  Furtick challenges modern day Christians to have the same boldness in their faith. To know what God has called you to do and then to act out in faith that he will provide for you and work miracles for his glory. 

When I first started reading this book I felt like it was one of those 'if you believe it you can achieve it' books.  This is NOT one of them!  Furtick is very clear that there is only one way to get anything done and that is through Christ Jesus.  He is just trying to wake up a stagnant church that goes about life in such a way that does nothing to further the Kingdom of God.

One of the cool things he talks about is "Audacious Faith".  He notes that audacity has a negative connotation to it but that he wants to change that for God.  Think about Joshua, he had the audacity to ask God to stop time...and he did! It makes me think of all the plans the Lord had and still has for me.  Will I believe in his power and his promises and have the audacity to ask him to move in me so that his kingdom will grow?  Or will I miss out completely?

I know that I can't wait to hear the words, "Well done good and faithful servant".  But I need to act in order to hear them. 

This book is really cool and I am excited to read more and share it with you all. 

No comments: