Friday, July 23, 2010

A slight Victory

So in my new quest of defining boundaries and learning how to set them in place I was confronted with one the other day.  It was something I new was coming up but was avoiding.  Not whole-heartily but enough to have not said anything for a while.  Well the other day it happened. I was asked to do something that I want to do.  Really I do.  But I can't over commit myself again.  I said yes but that there were stipulations.  I got a look of surprise.  Like "What do you mean?" You can't do this to me".  You know the look.  I tried to explain that I didn't want to reach burn out in December like I had the year before and that although this particular thing was important to me I was not able to go at it the way they had hoped.  The other person was very disappointed and I think a little perturbed.  Now this is the part where I would say "Well if you really need me I can do it.  I will just figure something out." But I didn't!  I just said "Sorry, but that is the best I can do." And insinuated that it was a take it or leave it type of thing.  The other person said something that before would have made me feel totally guilty but right there in that moment I felt so proud!  I was able to say no and I was not bullied (whether intentional or not) by the other person to change my mind.  This was a huge step in the right direction.  I am still reading my book and I am still learning. I will get there one day. This journey is one that I am actually excited to be a part of!  Okay that is it for today....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You go girl! I am super proud of you! What you did is not easy. Love ya, sweet friend!